Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Found On MySpace: Fraser Anderson

Lookie here, we got us another soon-to-be regular feature here on The MUSIC, Fool. This series will be called Found On MySpace, and will focus on artists that I have stumbled upon on MySpace. I will provide you with a link to the artist's MySpace page, and there are usually two or three of their tracks on that page.

The first in this series is Fraser Anderson, a singer-songwriter from Scotland who currently resides in France. I first discovered Fraser not on MySpace, but on NPR while I was driving around town one night. I came in on the middle of the segment, which featured Fraser doing some of his songs live in studio. I instantly became a fan, and as soon as I got home, I tried like crazy to find out about him on the Internet. Because of the spelling of his first name (thanks, Kelsey Grammer), I couldn't find him right away. After poking around for about four or five days, I was able to locate him via his band website.

I looked him up on MySpace and started listening. The first song I heard was "Fairytale," a tender love song with guitar work that is fantastic, to say the least. Fraser's voice is honest and sincere, and when he says,"You'll always be my baby blue" (among other things) it speaks of devotion, companionship, and warmth. "Fairytale" became one of those songs that I listened to a hundred times in about three or four days. I played it for my kids and my youngest quickly corrected Fraser, telling me that she'll always be my baby brown (we're Mexican and she was four years old).

I added Fraser as my very first MySpace friend (other than that dumbass Tom) and contacted him about where to get his album and whether or not he was touring the U.S. soon. He responded shortly and let me know that the album wasn't available in the U.S., but that I could get it at his site. He is working on coming to the U.S. We talked about Nick Drake and I introduced him to Iron and Wine, which he hadn't heard and liked immediately. I told told him the "baby brown" story and he quite rightly thought it was cute.

So, he's a nice guy as well as a very talented musician. His songs can soothe you on a hectic day, or make a peaceful Saturday with your family better. Not enough people know about Fraser, but damn, they should. Turn your countenance toward him, fools. It'll be time well spent.

No comments: